This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This tasty Roast Beef Sandwich is hearty comfort food at its finest! Featuring layers of tender roast beef, Swiss cheese, crisp fresh veggies, and a zesty horseradish sauce, each bite offers a well-balanced explosion of flavors and textures.
Best Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe
Packed with flavors that’ll make your taste buds sing, this roast beef sandwich is a delicious experience. The combination of succulent roast beef, creamy Swiss cheese, and fresh veggies, nestled within hearty whole grain rolls, is just the tip of the iceberg. What takes this sandwich to the next level is the homemade horseradish sauce. It’s the creamy, zesty finishing touch with a kick that transforms a good sandwich into an unforgettable one.
Why You’ll Love This Roast Beef Sandwich
- Quick and Easy! Sometimes you need a satisfying meal that is ready in a flash. With minimal prep time, this sandwich is perfect for those busy days when you want something tasty without the hassle of cooking.
- Gourmet Sandwich! Crafted with care, the combination of tender roast beef, Swiss cheese, and veggies topped with a zesty homemade horseradish sauce makes for an incredibly delicious sandwich.
- Crowd Pleaser! This roast beef sandwich is versatile. Whether you’re serving it for a casual lunch, packing it for a picnic, or putting it on a party menu, this sandwich is always a favorite.
- Roast Beef: These tender slices of savory beef create the base of the sandwich. You can use deli meat or leftover homemade roast beef.
- Rolls or Bread: I used whole grain rolls but you can use any type of bread you like.
- Swiss Cheese: This creamy cheese melts beautifully and adds a layer of richness. Feel free to use other types of cheese such as provolone cheese or cheddar cheese if you prefer.
- Red Onion: Adds a mildly pungent kick that complements the roasted beef.
- Baby Arugula: These peppery greens provide a layer of vibrant flavor and a pleasant crunch.
- Tomato: Fresh juicy sliced tomato adds both moisture and a touch of freshness.
- Mayonnaise: Creates the creamy base for the sauce. You can use store-bought or homemade mayonnaise.
- Prepared Horseradish: Provides a delicious zesty, spicy flavor that gives the sauce its signature taste.
- Dijon Mustard: Adds a touch of refined tang and depth.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice brightens up the sauce with a bit of acidity.
- Salt and Pepper: Perfectly season the sauce and help to develop the flavor.
Get ready to elevate your sandwich-making game! With minimal effort, you can transform a plain roast beef sandwich into a tasty work of art with the right ingredients and a touch of creativity.
In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, prepared horseradish, Dijon mustard, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Then season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste, and whisk until thoroughly blended.
Now, begin building the sandwiches. Take 2 slices of bread or the bottom of your buns and place some arugula followed by a couple of slices of tomato. Then sprinkle the tomato with salt and pepper to season. Next, add 4 slices of roast beef to each sandwich and then top the meat with a slice of Swiss cheese.
Once you’ve added the layers, drizzle plenty of that horseradish sauce over the roast beef, then add some thinly sliced onion if you like and another slice of tomato, if preferred. Finally, add the top bun and you’re ready to go.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I add to my roast beef sandwich?
You can get as creative as you like! Consider adding ingredients like bacon, avocado, or even a fried egg for extra layers of flavor and texture. You can also experiment with different types of bread and cheese.
Can I prepare these sandwiches in advance for a picnic or lunch?
Yes, you can. However, for optimal freshness, I recommend storing the horseradish sauce separately and spread it just before eating to prevent the rolls from getting soggy. Also, use the arugula or another barrier between the bread and juicy tomatoes to maintain the bread’s texture.
1 hour 25 minutes
Roasted Tomato Soup
Air Fryer French Fries
KFC Coleslaw Recipe
Classic Potato Salad
- Quality ingredients matter. To truly elevate your sandwich, use premium roast beef and Swiss cheese, crisp veggies, and fresh bread. The better the ingredients, the better your sandwich will taste.
- Use thinly sliced meat. When it comes to deli roast beef, have it sliced thin. This not only enhances the texture but also ensures that the beef’s flavor is well-distributed throughout the sandwich.
- Horseradish Sauce Balance: If you’re sensitive to the strong kick of horseradish, start by adding a little at a time to the sauce, tasting as you go, until you achieve your desired heat level.
- Tomato Selection: Use ripe but firm tomatoes for the best texture and flavor. If you can find heirloom tomatoes, they add a delightful sweetness and varied color to the sandwich.
- Cheese Varieties: Swiss cheese pairs wonderfully with roast beef, but don’t hesitate to switch it up with provolone, gouda, or a smoked cheddar to bring out different nuances in flavor.
I suggest enjoying your roast beef sandwich shortly after preparation. However, if you find yourself with leftovers, you can store them in the fridge for up to 2 days, wrapped in foil or plastic wrap. Any extra creamy horseradish sauce will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.
Discover More Delicious Recipes
This roast beef sandwich takes lunchtime to a whole new level. Nestled within hearty whole grain rolls, experience the tenderness of thinly sliced roast beef, the sharp contrast of Swiss cheese, and the bold zing of horseradish sauce.
Prevent your screen from going dark
In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, prepared horseradish, Dijon mustard, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste, and whisk until homogenous.
On each bottom of the roll, arrange baby arugula, followed by slices of tomato. Season the tomato slices lightly with salt and pepper. On top of the vegetables, layer 1 slice of Swiss cheese, 4 slices of roast beef, and then place another slice of Swiss cheese over the meat, followed by red onion.
Drizzle plenty of horseradish sauce, another tomato slice if preferred and finish with the top bun.
- Choice of Bread: While I recommend whole grain rolls for their hearty flavor and health benefits, you can also use ciabatta, baguette, or any other roll of your preference.
- Roast Beef Thickness: Ask your butcher for thinly sliced roast beef to ensure tenderness in every bite.
- Horseradish Heat: Adjust the quantity of horseradish in the sauce to suit your desired level of spiciness.
- Storage: If you have any leftover horseradish sauce, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. It pairs well with other sandwiches or as a dip.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 432kcal (22%)Carbohydrates: 9g (3%)Protein: 31g (62%)Fat: 31g (48%)Saturated Fat: 8g (50%)Polyunsaturated Fat: 13gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 92mg (31%)Sodium: 2023mg (88%)Potassium: 583mg (17%)Fiber: 2g (8%)Sugar: 4g (4%)Vitamin A: 793IU (16%)Vitamin C: 67mg (81%)Calcium: 502mg (50%)Iron: 3mg (17%)
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.