If you’re on a low carb eating plan and you’re looking for a low carb casserole that your entire family will love (even if they’re not on a diet), then you must try this Chicken, Mushroom & Broccoli Casserole.
There’s nothing better than creamy, cheesy chicken with your favorite veggies – mushrooms and broccoli…YUM!
This low carb casserole comes directly from my Feast Cycle 1 Meal Plan for the 17 Day Diet. It’s a Autumn-Inspired meal plan that is only available during the Fall season and one we will use for our Cycle 1 weight loss challenge.
When I think of the cooler Fall season, I dream of cheesy casseroles – so comforting and warms you up!
Ingredients for Low Carb Chicken Casserole
If the title of this recipe doesn’t clue you in on the ingredients used, then I don’t know what to tell you!
All kidding aside, this recipe is easy to make and it includes a few key ingredients, many of which you might already have or won’t have a problem getting at the store. Here they are:
- chicken breasts
- white onion
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- chicken broth
- tarragon or Italian Seasoning
- lemon juice
- Parmesan or Mozzarella Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese (optional for color)
Ingredient Substitutions for No Carb Chicken Casserole
If you’re not a fan of certain ingredients, this recipe is VERY easy to modify to fit into your own individual preferences. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Substitutions for Chicken
- Turkey breast (or ground)
- Ground Beef (or leftover pot roast)
- Ground Pork (or leftover pork roast)
Substitutions for Mushrooms
- Bell Pepper
- Egg plant
- Artichoke Hearts
- Sun-dried Tomatoes
Substitutions for Broccoli
You can use any of the ingredients listed above, plus the following:
- Green Beans
- Brussels Sprouts
You can literally make an entire new recipe by combining any of the above substitutions. The idea is to make something that YOU will enjoy!
Low Carb Chicken Broccoli Casserole for the 17 Day Diet
If you’re eating low carb on the 17 Day Diet, you can definitely have this Low Carb Chicken, Mushroom & Broccoli Casserole on all cycles of the diet.
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed when, make sure you check out my 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List for all the info!
You can also check out my book on Amazon called Fast Track Your Weight Loss With the 17 Day Diet which has all the food lists (and a 7 day meal plan, too!).
Can I have Cheese on the 17 Day Diet?
This is a common question asked. Yes, you can definitely have cheese on the 17 Day Diet.
It seems that many skip over the condiment section of the 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List where cheese is specifically mentioned. It can be used in moderation.
Low Carb Chicken and Broccoli Casserole on the Kickstart Diet
Yes, you can definitely have this low carb chicken casserole while on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet. You can have this dish starting on the 10-Day Stabilize Phase when certain dairy is allowed.
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed during each phase, make sure you take a look at my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
Keto Chicken Casserole
If you’re on the Keto Diet, this dish can be eaten as is. As always, make sure you use full fat cheese when you’re making a Chicken Keto Casserole.
If you want to ramp up the fat content, add more cheese!
More Low Carb Chicken & Turkey Casseroles
Do you love cheesy low carb casseroles? If this Chicken, Mushroom & Broccoli Casserole is your jam, make sure you check out these other amazing low carb casseroles:
If you enjoy this low carb Chicken, Mushroom & Broccoli Casserole, make sure you come back to review the recipe card below. If you’re on social, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your yummy dish.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx 1 ½ pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces (can also use pre-cooked shredded chicken, too)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 carton sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon tarragon or Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 large broccoli crown, cut into florets and
- cooked al dente
- 1/2 cup Parmesan or Mozzarella Cheese (or both)
- Cheddar Cheese, for sprinkling (optional for extra color)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil on medium high heat.
- Add chicken pieces and onion and cook until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- About half way through cooking the chicken, add sliced mushrooms to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper (add more olive oil if needed). Cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Next, add garlic to chicken and mushrooms and saute for 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, mix together softened cream cheese and sour cream until well combined (it’s OK if cream cheese is a little lumpy). Add chicken broth a little at a time and mix well.
- Add cream cheese mixture to chicken and mushrooms, add Tarragon and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until liquid has thickened a bit and the cream cheese has completely melted into the mixture.
- Next, add al dente broccoli florets to the pan and mix well. Note: make sure to thoroughly drain broccoli of
excess water before adding it to the skillet.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of cheddar (optional for added color).
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes uncovered until broccoli is cooked to your preference and cheese is melted (if you like your broccoli al dente, don’t cook
17 Day Diet – all cycles
17 Day Kickstart Diet – 10-Day Stabilize Phase
You may use pre-cooked shredded chicken if you want. Skip the steps for cooking chicken and add shredded chicken to cooked mushroom mixture.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)