This easy spicy tuna roll recipe is perfect for those sushi lovers that want to try their hand at making their own version at home. Our recipe is simple to follow and requires only easy-to-find ingredients. Enjoy!
We get it. The idea of making your own sushi from scratch sounds quite intimidating. We thought so too! However, it doesn’t have to be. That’s why we’ve created this easy recipe that’ll give even the newbiest of home sushi chefs a favorable result. We kept things super simple and made this sushi roll recipe with only 6 simple ingredients.
And on top of that, we’ve given you a step-by-step on how to make the absolute PERFECT sticky rice — the real key to making that restaurant-quality sushi you’ve been dreaming of. So don’t fret, just follow this easy spicy tuna roll recipe to a T, and you’ll be amazed at what you’re capable of.
why make our spicy tuna rolls?
- They’re a crowd pleaser: everyone loves the classic taste of fresh tuna and homemade spicy mayo!
- Budget friendly: sushi made at home can be super budget friendly when you use simple ingredients like this recipe.
- Fool proof: a first-timer-friendly recipe that is easy to make and super delicious!
Spicy Tuna Roll Recipe – What You Need
- Mayonnaise: a classic sushi topping, it adds a creamy, tangy flavor.
- Chili garlic sauce: puts the “spicy” in this spicy tuna roll. It’s loaded with great spicy flavor!
- Cooked sticky rice: the perfect rice for making sushi.
- Sushi-grade tuna: the key to making this sushi roll really shine. The higher quality, the better!
- Nori: you’ll roll your sushi ingredients in sheets of nori. They’re crucial to these sushi rolls.
- Furikake: furikake is a Japanese seasoning made with seaweed, sesame seeds, and other ingredients. It adds great flavor and texture to the sushi roll.
- Green onions: add a mild onion flavor and crunch.
How to Make the PERFECT Sticky Rice for Sushi
When it comes to sushi, you’ve got to get the rice right. It needs to be sticky, soft, and moist – just like the ones at your favorite sushi restaurant.
To help you achieve sticky rice perfection, here’s an easy step-by-step guide:
- Rinse 1 cup of uncooked rice under cold water for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice to an Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water. Stir and make sure all of the rice is covered in water.
- Cook the rice under high pressure for 4 minutes and then naturally let the rice naturally release for 8 minutes. Release the rest of the pressure and fluff the rice.
- Set aside until ready to use.
Top Tip for Rolling a Spicy Tuna Roll
To roll the sushi without it falling apart on you, it’s important to keep your hands and the mat wet. This will help prevent sticking and make rolling easier. Then as you roll, gently squeeze the roll to tighten it up as it forms. This will compress the rice so that it holds together and won’t fall apart when you cut it.
If the ingredients start to shift out during rolling, don’t worry! Just push them back in and keep rolling. If you can’t get it on your first try, that’s totally okay! Just keep practicing until you get the hang of it. It’ll taste good, regardless!
What is the best kind of rice to use for making sushi?
For best results, short grain rice should be your go-to. It’s rich in starch and sticky enough that each piece of sushi will hold its shape.
But don’t worry if you can’t find short-grain white rice in the store—medium-grain is a good substitute too. Just make sure not to use long-grain rice, as it won’t have the same texture.
What is a spicy tuna roll typically made of?
Usually, it’s a combination of 3 ingredients: sushi rice, sashimi-grade tuna, nori (seaweed), and a spicy mayo sauce. We made our spicy tuna roll recipe a lil fancier by adding green onions and furikake!
What if I don’t have a sushi mat?
Although using a sushi mat makes rolling your sushi rolls much easier; you can always use the towel trick. Simply lay the towel on your counter or table and place your nori sheet on top. Spread a thin layer of rice onto the nori and place your fillings in the center of the rice, then use the towel to help create a tight roll.
Simple Sushi Burrito
If you love these spicy tuna rolls, you have to try our simple salmon sushi burritos. Yum!
What to Serve with Spicy Tuna Rolls
Simple Asian-Inspired Salad – Looking to pair one of your favorite Asian dishes with a simple salad? We’ve got you covered with this colorful salad recipe dressed with a yummy dressing.
Cauliflower Fried Rice – This Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe is a delicious low carb alternative to traditional fried rice. Packed with veggies and a super flavorful sauce, plus it’s easy to make.
Thai Chili Corn Salad – We love this Thai Chili Summer Corn Salad. It’s made with grilled corn, carrots, red pepper, cabbage, and the most delicious vinaigrette! Make this grilled corn salad today.
Rainbow Noodle Salad – Delicious veggies like red and green peppers, carrots, pea pods, red onion and cucumbers tossed with an Asian-inspired sesame dressing and linguine noodles make for the freshest of the fresh salads.
It‘s best to enjoy sushi rolls on the same day. However, if you still have leftovers, we recommend wrapping your spicy tuna rolls in plastic wrap and a thick kitchen towel so that the rice won’t get too cold or dry out as much.